Saturday 6 August 2011

Polly's Big Adventure!!!

Well its been a while since I last posted on here - but I did say I wouldn't be posting so much as nothing different was happening!!!

Well - I couldn't wait to share with you my very first BIG adventure

Oh what a great time I had too!!!!

Look at the photograph - what do you see....

Nothing but leaves and branches

Look again!!!

Its me....tee hee...

And this is how my great adventure came to be....

We were at a little fundraising event over in Routh East Yorkshire, everyone was there to set up - mum, dad, Andrew and Graham - the gazebo went up, chairs out and then all us birds made a grand entrance!!!

Graham had Casper his Harris Hawk - Andrew brought along Barney the 4 week old Barn Owl, then there was Gizmo and me.....

Although not a lot of people were about to start off with they all made a beeline for us birds - and didn't we all love it!!!

Well I started to show off as I do tend to try whenever there's an audience - and today's gathering was perfect! So I flapped about a bit while the spectators oohed and ahhhed - then I aimed to get up on dads shoulder - as I'm sure you all know, us birds love to get to the highest points whenever possible so a shoulder or better still a head is great - anyway - I landed on dads shoulder and flapped about again to keep peoples attention on me....

Naturally dad went to calm me down a little - raised his right hand (birds are ALWAYS on the left hand - rarely any exceptions!) and at the same time I took flight - totally unexpected - and without warning I was up up and away!!!

I did hear people say it was like something on TV in slow motion as I took flight and slowly my leash slipped from dads fist and rose up his shoulder - over his head - and too high to reach by the time it dawned on him or anyone quite what had happened!

Now I know I should have just flown around and come back - but no - I had to show off a little first - so what did I do?

Flew up into the highest trees!

And sat and watched as dad, Andrew, Graham, mum and others stood below looking up, calling my name, whistling and generally looking shocked and nervous!!!

I had no plans to come down too soon - I had a great view of everything and everywhere - but poor dad is beginning to worry - you could see it in his face - so after around 45 minutes he decided he had to go all the way back home and get his ladders and maybe some food to try tempt me with!!!

All in all I think I was up there around 2 hours till Graham climbed to the top of the ladder and then climbed around 6ft up the tree - to rescue little old me....

The relief on dads face was a real picture I can tell you - I honestly think he had it in mind I was going to fly off and he wouldn't be able to find me again

Does he think I'm stupid? I love my mum and dad - not to mention my buddy Gizmo - plus dad feeds me on yummy chicks - bugger having to hunt for my dinner - I'm good - but not that good!!!
Look at the lovely Gizmo - he was such a good bird today!!!

Hope you enjoyed the Naughty Polly adventure....

See you next time folks

x

1 comment:

  1. Loved hearing all about your exciting adventure, Polly. It was a little naughty tho' giving Mum and Dad a scare like that. Just as well they love you!! Are you 'grounded' for the rest of the month then??? Lol. Love, 'Auntie' Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete