Thursday 21 April 2011

Day 15

I have lots to tell you about from today - I was treated to a day out - yippee!!! What I didnt know as we set off was that I was to be on my best behaviour - and not nip at all the hands that would be in and out of my box all day long!
Seems dad had agreed to take the Harris Hawk and me over to our local Woodlands as they were having an Easter Fayre....
The sun was shining and the people came...all I heard over and over again - ohhhh look at the chick - I really wanted to yell "I ARENT A CHICK I'M A BARN OWL" but thankfully mum was on the ball and put people straight...so then the barage of questions, how old was I? Was I an orphane? Boy or Girl? Could I fly? and the favorite "can I hold IT"
Mum answered the questions but I have to say I breathed a huge sigh of relief when she said "no sorry, you cant hold the owl".



I can tell you I was so fed up in the end of in the box, out the box, grubby fingers from all directions wanting to stroke me, and I have already found I dont like it when people decide to stroke the wrong way - most people stroke head to tail but the odd few had to try tail to head and its so uncomfortable - so I would fidget, and a few times I think mum thought she was going to drop me!
By lunchtime I had just about had enough so every time I was picked up I started to flap my wings - I really wanted them to work today - to carry me out the way - but flap as I did - nothing more than a draft was formed that blew off the loose downy fluff!!!




I was so fed up that i just didnt eat all day long - mum had a mouse on hand for me but I just wasnt interested - mind you I did weigh in at a staggering 11 1/4oz today - and once home and safe again I started to eat so have had 3 chicks and 1 mouse in all....
People made a few suggestions on names at the fayre - mostly it was yound ladies who suggested we go for a unisex name - so we were given Jay, Leigh, and mum forgot the rest so they obviously werent interesting - and I dont think - erm no, I HOPE she doesnt go for one of those two either - cos I dont like them!!!
And this is the last piccie for today - I posed and mum said I looked so cute and she loved the photo - hope you do too!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well I must say you are getting more handsome every day , You little cutie, and you can`t blame all those people wanting to see you. They have probably never seen such a young Baby Owl before, and so they are bound to be facinated by you, Ducky ....Erm sorry Owlie LOLOL I`ll be glad when you finally get your own name. I still think I1m on a winner with "Prince " `cos you`re going to look so Regal when you are in full feather. Hugs Cazxx

    ReplyDelete