Tuesday 7 June 2011

Day 63

Its been a mixed bag for me throughout today I have to say!!!

I started off being weighed, then I was back onto my block and had a chick thrown to me in order I feed myself....which I did do, but in my own time!

Then I was taken outside and put on the block with Gizmo on the rusted frame and Kai on his super duper bow perch further down the garden!

All was going well till the rain started - for some reason dad decided I had to be brought in - ok I know us Barn Owls dont like to be wet but it wasnt more than a few drops of rain! But anyway, Gizmo was brought in and placed in Kai's BIG box which he really seemed to enjoy - maybe it was because it has a perch in it and its a dark place so he can get some quality sleep!!!

Mum didnt like the idea of me snoozing - I was on the glove with dad in the living room, and I was soooo relaxed I decided to have a nap - mum decided I wasnt! When she saw I had my eyes tightly shut she called my name over and over until I gave in and looked at her - take it from me, it was not one of my nice and cute looks either!!!! LOL

After a few hugs and cuddles and even a couple of nose to nose nudges with dad I was put back on the block with a chick - mum was there with her camera to capture me feeding - but she got more than she bargained for!!

I showed her how good I was at MANTLING - this is where I cover the food, guard it from everyone - I click loudly too - its like hearing a gunshot - and I do that every few seconds - its my way of saying "You are in my space - please get out of the way and now!"

Here are the photos of the food landing follwoed by my capturing it, and mantling before finally scooping the food and heading back to my block to eat it! A show which only lasts a few minutes but people find impressive - mainly as I spread my wings to their full extent which isnt seen very often so clearly - sadly mums pictures arent that sharp but at least you get the idea!














So today you have learnt all about MANTLING - maybe one day soon mum will get to shoot a video of me doing it so you see it for real together with the sounds which make it really exciting!!!

And now another day is drawing to a close - its been a good day too!!!

Before I go - take a moment to read the article mum posted in a new page yesterday....just look for INCORRECT INFORMATION down the right hand side of this blog!!! Its certainly worth a viewing I have to say!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment