Wednesday 11 May 2011

Day 36


Have I got news for you......

Just wish the camera had been aimed at my mum today - she walked into the kitchen, looked at me and said hello - so in return I had a bigggg strecth of the wings followed by a huge drafty flap of wings - then promtly and effortlessly hopped onto the side of my box!!!

Mum was amazed!!! She called dad through and I think he thought mum had set me on the side, so he popped me back in the box and just to show it was ME not mum, I again hopped onto the box side!

So - what happens next you may be wondering - after all, if I can hop onto the side of the box, I can then hop to the floor or work top or anywhere else my box is positioned. I guess I can see why mum and dad are worried, if I hop onto the work top in the kitchen then over step I could end up falling - and in all honestly - even though I like to think I am a big strong owl - I dont think my wings would do much to help me - and I just know I would hot that kitchen floor with a bump!!!

I'm sure mum and dad knew this was going to happen one day soon as dad was prepared for it - he disappeared under the stairs and emerged with a huge box - it must be 3 times higher than my last one - and I DONT LIKE IT!!! Just look how tiny I look in this one....lol



Cant they see things my way - its taken all this time for me to work out HOW to get onto the box side - then they move me into something this big - seems so unfair to me!!! I just cannot see me ever managing to fly out of here....

Having said that, I did sort of earwig on their conversation - they were saying something about how Sid - the last barn owl - was a little older than me by the time he managed to jump onto the box side and then when he went into the huge box it was only a few short weeks before he was flying not jumping from the box - and then he went onto a block

I think Im looking forward to that stage - but a BLOCK?? Ive heard talk of a chopping block and a cutting block - surely not....please tell me I so far from the right spot.....please...

The downy fluff is falling from me so quickly now - I guess this big box means more fluff will stay in it instead of covering everything and everybody in sight as it has been doing - and all my feathers are clearly visable now, my facial disc is all inplace and very defined, my wings are almost clear of the fluff too - my back is still soft and fluffy but as I said, its falling away quickly - and the more stroking I get from mum, the more it falls off too!!!

Today I weighed 14 3/8oz so I am slowly losing the weight which is a good sign - pretty soon I start cutting down on what I eat too - today I've had 5 chicks and 1 mouse - in time when I am ready to go out flying learning to hunt, I will need to be down to around 5oz in weight and eating only 1 chick or 1 mouse a day!!! Seems rather silly that from day 1 I have to be fed and fed and fed every day yet once I get to a certain size I need to start cutting back.....oh well, have to trust dad on this one....after all he knows best!!!

Hope you like the change of photo's - I was pretty suprised when dad brought out his fab, soft and squashy leather hat for me to sit in!!!


And now Ive brought you all up to date with how clever I am, how pretty I am, how trim and proper I am - I'm going to bed...so switch the light out - and goodnight everyone x

No comments:

Post a Comment