Friday 27 May 2011

Day 51

Hello friends - today has seen a few firsts for me!

The first big thing was I leapt from the scales to dads glove for food - this is a huge step in the life of a Barn Owl - had I been in the wild I wouldnt have had the option shall I or shalln't I? And oh it felt good! Dad was pleased as punch when he saw me which I think made all his time and efforts with me worth the while!

The other first is my moving from the box to the block! I wont say I'm happy, cos I aren't, in fact I'm a long long way from it - but this day was coming, I knew it, you knew it - it really was just a matter of time...

I know I will soon get used to the block - but I really feel its a loss of freedom somehow - there I am tied to a ring below the block - I can move around ok, just not able to wander room to room, looking for Fern to torment, or Gizmo to bully! Oh to be a baby again....

I must just tell you all though, last night I was in my box and the lid was in position, dad doesnt fit it in place as we tend to end up hot and bothered so he rests it over the top and leaves about 5" open....mum and dad had gone off to bed and I was so fed up been in the box - I wanted to play, so I began jumping up and down, up and down, and pretty soon I realised the lid was moving, so I continued even though it was so noisy! Soon enough the box lid fell in the box and I was free to fly out - yippee!

So I was wandering around - I went into the hallway, kitchen and on the stairs it was great!!! Then suddenly a door opened and the light went on in mums room.....so I kept still and waited

A while later there was silence upstairs but the light was still on so I went off to investigate - I got up the stairs and then flew straight at mum - boy did she jump!!!! I guess it was cruel on my part - but oh so funny!!! Teach her to get up middle of the night and craft!

Spoil sport she is, I was taken down and put back in the box with the lid angled over - but I had tasted freedom and wanted more - I knew how to do it now so there was no stopping me - imagine mums horror when she came donwstairs and almost stepped on me - had I not hissed I'm pretty sure she would have done...

Again I was put back in the box - mum went into the living room, and was watching tv and as I pushed on the door I heard her take a sharp intake of breathe - poor mum must have aged 10 years through the night with me and my antics!!!!

So with all that in mind, dad decided today had to be the day for the block - it means I get freedom of sorts and I see all that is going on - everyone has to walk past me so I get plenty of hellos and such...

The Tawny Owl gizmo actually went off to have training anklets and jessies fitted - he is so laid back - any more so and he would fall over - he came home now the worse for having the fitted - he just carries on without a care in the world - there is no wonder everyone loves Gizmo is there?

I've been off my food today - not sure if I am over tired with my active night antics and then exciting day, or bored with the same foods....but I have only had 3 chicks and a pheasant chick





Tomorrow is another day - and once I'm settled, I'm sure I will enjoy been sat on the block - KING OF THE BLOCK - thats me!!!

Goodnight all.....
x

No comments:

Post a Comment